Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cymbopogon nardus

About a couple of months back when I was first involved in CG I appealed for this plant and HL had gladly donated a couple of stalks to the CG. They are growing well in full sunlight and now I have enough to transplant them to grow them at the fruit garden gate area.
I also noticed that the leaves had been cut recently and discovered that someone from the group had been using the leaves to cook curry with it! She said the smell is very strong and fragrant and she loved that. She had already cooked curry twice it. And she and her family didn't die from eating the curry .... She didn't even want to use the lemongrass which was also growing nearby when I told her that the plant wasn't meant for cooking but it was a form of natural mosquito repellent. I wonder if I can confirm now that Cymbopogon can be used for cooking. LOL
Notice the stalks of the Cymbopogon. They are purplish in color while the lemon grass stalks are usually cream in color.
Posted by Picasa


Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: